Sports Massage Therapy
what is sports massage?
Sports Massage is a very deep form of massage, which is extremely effective in treating muscular pain, tension and after injury.
A Sports Massage Therapist uses deep massage and a variety of techniques to help restore the muscles to good health and ultimately without pain.
what are the benefits?
- Reduces recovery time during training
- Improves flexibility
- Helps prevent further injury
who is it useful for?
You don't have to be an athlete to benefit from Sports Massage. It is of course used to keep sports men and women active and continuing in their chosen sport. However it is also useful for anyone who suffers with muscular aches and pains.
This might be from:
- overworking in the garden
- sitting at a computer too long
- having to spend any length of time on crutches
- work related injuries
- or simply from poor posture.
In fact poor posture is a major cause of muscle pain and stiffness.
what to expect during a consultation
During your initial consultation, the therapist will discuss with you your symptoms. They will also take a full medical history, before assessing your range of motion in the affected part. This will aid the therapist in deciding the most appropriate form of treatment.
They will then warm up the affected area with massage, before using a variety of techniques to aid recovery, stretch & increase range of movement. These might include:
- Neuro Muscular Techniques (NMT) or trigger pointing
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) & Muscle Energy Technique (MET) stretches
- Soft Tissue Release (STR)
when is it available?
Our therapists are available for Sports Massage in Blandford, Dorset here at Hambledon Health throughout the week, including some evenings.