Ear Candles(Thermal Auricular Therapy)
Conditions where treatment may be beneficial:
- Excessive compacted wax*
- Pressure regulation for: Sinusitis, Rhinitis, Glue-ear, the after effects of Colds ,Flu,Headaches, Migraines
- Frequent Air Travel
- Swimming or people who partake in scuba diving or water sports
- Stress - as the treatment is very relaxing
- Tinnitus, noises in the ears*
- Neuralgia (nerve pain in the face)*
- Menieres Disease*
*Check with your GP first
What is Ear Candling?
Ear Candling is by no means a new therapy. Evidence found in texts, wall murals and pictorial representations some dating back to the year 2500 BC show that people used and were familiar with the practice of ear candling. Ancient cultures such as the Egyptians, Mayans, Aztecs and American Indians make reference to its use and scrolls describing the procedure for ear candling have also been discovered in the Orient.
Today, perhaps the best known ear candles are the Hopi Ear Candles, originating from the Hopi Indians, the oldest Pueblo people who have a great medicinal knowledge and a high degree of spirituality.
The Hopi Ear Candles were introduced into Europe through the professional involvement of Biosun with the Hopi. Biosun is a German company and are the largest commercial manufacturer of the Hopi Ear Candles. Their candles conform to the Medical Device Directive (93/42EEC).
In simple terms the candles work in a similar way to chimneys, i.e. the candle is lit and the impurities are drawn to the surface by the airflow circulating in, around and out of the top of the candle. This process is known as convection. A mild suction occurs and the heat is released, circulating vapours inside the ear, gently massaging the eardrum (tympanic membrane). The action helps to regulate the pressure systems within the head including the sinuses, which may be infected.
This action along with a facial massage can help in several ways, such as:
- Herbal vapours soothe any irritated areas of the outer ear, and may help strengthen the immune system
- The heat and the massage can help stimulate the blood flow, strengthen and increase the lymph glands and stimulate energy points on the external part of the ear
- The mild suction of the candles can help regulate the pressure systems within the ear
A treatment (including facial massage) lasts approx. 40 minutes. If you need more information or to check if Ear Candles are suitable for your condition, please call the clinic.
Ear Candling is contraindicated if you have a cold, ear infection, or any heat in the ears. Wait until these issues have cleared before starting treatment.
Prior to treatment it is strongly recommended that you moisten the entrance to the ear with olive oil, twice a day during the week before treatment, stopping the day before, however don’t overuse the oil as it will seep out, a little goes a long way !
A course of 3 treatments one week apart leads to greatest success, especially when dealing with compacted ear wax.
when is it available?
We offer Ear Candles throughout the week.